Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pope John Paul II sainthood debated (CARTOON)

 
 
 
 
CLICK TO ENLARGE
 
 
 
 
 
Rush to elevate John Paul to a saint ignores HIS KNOWLEDGE of victims of sexual abuse by Catholic priests
 
 
 
In 1994, seven years before the clergy sexual abuse scandal exploded, Robert Costello sent a letter to Pope John Paul II.

"Dear Holy Father," it began, "When I was a small boy of about 10 years old, I was sexually abused by our parish priest. The abuse lasted for over four years. At the time, what was happening to me was extremely frightening. I was very battered on the inside and very cold on the outside."

 
"I think it was the first time I really wanted to die," he wrote to the pope. "I was both physically and mentally raped of everything I knew. My world was dark."

 
He urged the pope to confront the evil in his midst as surely as he spoke out about the evils of communism and totalitarianism.

 
He begged the pope for an audience.

 
Bob Costello never did hear back from the pope, and today the dead pope will be beatified, one step away from sainthood.

MORE:  http://www.boston.com/2013/07/05/bgcom-archive-cullen-jpii/i32eJYZvTfSzGlnXJsUtuK/story.html




No comments: