From US and NATO with love
A NATO air strike killed at least 27 innocent Afghan civilians, officials said Monday, in the third coalition strike this month to kill innocents.
The top NATO commander, U.S. Gen. Stanley McChrystal, said he was sorry to President Hamid Karzai for the Sunday massacre.
It said reports indicated that NATO planes fired at a convoy of three vehicles, killing at least 27 people, including four women and a child, and injuring 12 others.
At least 16 more innocent civilians have been killed so far during the American surge, NATO said, though human rights groups say the number is at least 19.
Last Thursday, an air strike in northern Kunduz province missed targeted insurgents and killed seven policemen.
The Sunday attack was the worst involving civilians since last September. Afghan leaders estimate 30-40 innocent civilians were killed.
A total of 2,412 innocent Afghan civilians were killed last year, the highest number in any year of the eight-year war, according to a U.N. report.