Thursday, June 24, 2010

Tax Hike Raises Cigarette Prices to $11 a Pack in Manhattan

~








New York now has the highest cigarette taxes in the country after the Legislature passed a bill Monday raising taxes on tobacco in the state.


The new law adds another $1.60 in state taxes to every cigarette pack sold starting July 1, escalating the average price to $9.20 in the state, and nearly $11 a pack in New York City.





If there were no taxes, a pack of cigarretes would cost about $3.99.

As of the year 2000, 35% of men and 22% of women in the US smoked.





~

3 comments:

jadedj said...

Holy shit. Wow, glad I kicked the habit ten years ago...and especially glad I don't live in NYC and still smoke.

Chimp said...

I kicked the habit much longer ago than that and I did work in Manhattan. Worse, I smoked over 2 packs a day! Shit, that's over $600 a month! I imagine that today you can get mugged for a pack of cigarrettes.

Chimp said...

停止吸烟,开始呼吸